Packing and moving can be a stressful process, but it’s even worse when you’re trying to transport large and heavy pieces of furniture. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to make it easier. Here’s everything you need to know about moving bigger items in your home.
Tools can make certain jobs easier. Whether you’re moving a full-sized bed or a coffee table, there are some basic tools you’ll need to get the job done. In addition to your furniture and its packing materials, grab:
- Screwdrivers (flathead and Phillips)
- Wrench set
- Tape measurer
Those are just the essentials. Grab anything else that you think you’d need too!
Prep furniture for moving.
Moving furniture is never easy (after all, that’s why you’re hiring movers!). However, there are some ways you can prep your furniture for when it is time to move. Here are some tips on how to do just that:
- Remove any knobs or handles from drawers and doors (and windows). They make it difficult for movers to transport large pieces of furniture as they may get stuck on other items during transit.
- Remove drawers and doors. The less surface area along which your furniture can break during transport, the better!
- Remove all loose pieces of wood or metal, such as chair legs or table legs.
- Remove any fabric that can be removed.
Label and wrap all your furniture.
When you are labeling and wrapping your furniture, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Use a marker that will not come off easily. We recommend Sharpie markers because they are durable, but any permanent marker should suffice.
- Place labels on the top of each piece of furniture where they can be seen easily when moving it. If you have more than one person helping with the move, this will make it easier for everyone involved!
Disassemble furniture pieces that need to be taken apart before moving.
Once you have decided to move, you need to think about the furniture that needs to be moved.
- If it is a large piece of furniture such as a couch or dresser, disassembly may be required.
- If this is something that can be broken down into smaller pieces and easily transported, then you should take time to do it before moving day arrives.
- It will save a lot of time and effort during your move as well as help prevent any damage to your belongings in case there’s an accident while they’re being transported by movers or other means (such as an automobile).
Professional movers have lots of tips and tricks for moving your large pieces safely and securely.
Professional movers have lots of tips and tricks for moving your large pieces safely and securely. When you’re hiring a professional mover, they can help you pack, move and unpack your belongings. They’ll also load and unload them for you if needed.
Moving is hard work, and it’s a lot easier if you have the right tools for the job. The tips and tricks we’ve given you here are just a few of many that professional movers use on a day-to-day basis to help make moving easier for their customers. If you want to learn more about moving or hiring professional movers in your area, be sure to contact us today!