Moving is one of the most stressful things to do, but it doesn’t have to be. If you’re dreading packing up and moving out, try these tips for making sure it goes as smoothly as possible.
Donate or throw away things you don’t need.
- Donate or throw away things you don’t need. The worst part of moving is all the stuff you have to pack and unpack. The best way to speed up a move is by getting rid of as much excess stuff as possible. Donation centers and trash bins are the perfect places for it. You’ll feel better having just a few boxes full of items that really matter, and having less stuff will make finding what’s important a lot easier once you’re in your new home!
- Label every box with its contents. If there’s one thing worse than packing up too much stuff, it’s having an entire room full of empty boxes labeled “kitchenware” or “clothes.” If every box has its contents listed clearly on the outside, unpacking can be much more efficient! Make sure each label includes the name of each room that item belongs in.
Plan ahead which items go in which boxes.
- Plan ahead which items go in which boxes.
- Pack things you need, not things you don’t use.
- Don’t pack fragile items together with other fragile items.
- Don’t put things that don’t belong together, such as your desk drawer contents (paperclips, pens and pencils) with your kitchen utensils (spatulas, wooden spoons).
Hire movers if it’s a big move.
If you’re moving from a big house, or if you have a lot of heavy things to transport, hiring movers may be the best option for saving time. Similarly, if there are stairs involved in your move and you don’t have a truck with a lift gate to help carry heavy items up them, hiring movers can cut down on the amount of time spent lugging boxes up and down your stairs. It also means that once everything is moved into its new home, someone else can handle driving all those large items around while you unpack and relax!
Buy supplies in advance.
Moving can be a stressful time, but there are ways to simplify the process. One of the best ways to do this is by purchasing supplies in advance.
- Buy boxes and packing materials ahead of time. If you know when your move will be, start planning now! You’ll have plenty of time before move-in day to purchase boxes and packing materials at a discount. By buying them in bulk from a local store or online retailer like U-Haul, you can save even more money on these items that typically cost $1 per box.
- Get your wardrobe ready for its new home by storing it in an empty closet or storage unit until it’s time for the big move. Then, simply transfer everything into its new home together with one trip down the stairs or elevator (or up!) using dollies or hand trucks.
Don’t wait until the last minute to start packing.
You should start packing at least two weeks prior to the move, and prioritize what needs to go first. This will allow you time to look for boxes, wrap breakables and label them appropriately so that on moving day everything is ready to be loaded onto the truck.
If you wait until the last minute before packing up your things, then it’s likely that your belongings will get damaged or lost during transport because they won’t fit into boxes properly or be labeled well enough for movers to pack intelligently. You’ll have a hard time finding help from friends and family members as well. So if at all possible try not to wait until the last minute!
There are a lot of things to consider when moving, and it can feel overwhelming to plan for every detail. But if you follow these tips, we promise that your next move will be easier than ever. Contact Arthur Perez today to help with your move!