Moving is stressful, and it’s easy to make mistakes when packing. If you’re planning a move, try to avoid these common pitfalls that can make the process even more difficult. Let’s review three of the most common mistakes people make when packing for a move:
Mistake 1: Starting to pack too late
The first mistake is to wait until the last minute to start packing. When you are already stressed out about moving, it’s tempting to ignore your packing list and just get as much done as possible. However, this can cause problems in two areas:
- You may not have time for a thorough job, which may mean that some important things are left behind.
- The stress of trying to pack at the last minute can make it difficult for you to find focus and stay organized; instead of getting all your packing done efficiently, you’ll end up running around in circles trying desperately not to forget anything important.
Mistake 2: Forgetting to pack an essentials bag
When moving, you should bring an essentials bag with you. This is a bag that has all the items you might need while moving and unpacking. You are going to want to pack this bag and have it ready when the movers come.
- Toiletries: toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, floss, makeup remover wipes, hair gel or styling products (if needed), shampoo/conditioner
- Extra clothes: socks, underwear, pajamas, loungewear
- Snacks: granola bars or protein bars for energy on moving day; trail mix for snacking on during long drives between locations
- Water bottle: stay hydrated throughout the day!
Mistake 3: Packing by room instead of by how often you use an object
Packing by room instead of how often you use an object is one of the most common packing mistakes. When you pack your boxes, it’s best to start with the items that aren’t used every day and go from there. For example, if you have a closet full of clothes, put those in first. Then start putting in smaller items that need to be unpacked right away—like electronics, toiletries and towels—and then move on to less frequently used things like toys and decorations.
If you decide to pack according to rooms instead of by how often an object is used, just make sure all the big stuff goes in first, so it doesn’t crush the small items during transport!
In conclusion, when you’re moving, it’s important to start packing early. Don’t forget to pack an essentials bag that you can access right away. Also, instead of packing by room, pack according to how much you use each object as this technique will help you greatly. Don’t let these common packing mistakes get you down. With some careful planning, you can make sure that your move goes smoothly and is stress-free. If you have any questions about our services or would like more information about how we could help your next move go well, give us a call at (504) 241-5535.